Massage is one of the oldest and universal healing techniques, having a recorded history dating back to at least two thousand years and encompassing ancient cultures such as the Greek and Roman empires and the Chinese and Indian civilisations.
Modern research indicates that massage assists:
- venous flow of blood and lymphatic flow
- provides stretching of tissue
- relieves subcutaneous scar tissue
- assists in the elimination of metabolic by-products
- reduces certain types of oedema
- improves nutrition through the skin via special lubricants
- assists soft tissue toward normal metabolic balance.
In addition to this there are reflex effects from the stimulation of sensory receptors of the skin and subcutaneous tissues.
Massage can be used as an adjunct to Acupuncture, Herbs and Western medicine. Some of the most powerful uses of combined Acupuncture and Massage are in the treatment of stress and in the relief of musculoskeletal injuries and pain.
Stress, in particular, is now understood to be the cause of a range of illnesses as it tends to depress the immune system and compromise other body functions.
I will be happy to explain to you how I can treat your problem, and I welcome further enquiries.